Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Replies: 6 (Who?), Viewed: 1869 times.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 3:55 PM Last edited by Katie Turner : 23rd May 2019 at 4:13 AM.
Harry Potter sims help wanted
OK I give in! I've tried it myself but creating sims in sims 2 is so much harder than sims 3. Mainly I've been following this tutorial Creating Realistic Sims but I just can't seem to get a hang of the sliders and such. What also makes it harder is I'm trying to do the Harry Potter characters including the Weasley and Black families and trying to create sims that actually look alike without making clones

All sims use Skin and makeup By Lilith as well as Bits N' Bobs 11 and Bits N' Bobs part II by MistyBlue and mascara and eyes ( Behind these eyes ) by Bruno

All Sims are Book based, and the blanks filled in by my imagination

Lily Evans Potter

Petunia Evans Dursley

James Potter

(I don't know why I get Kermit the frog vibes from him)

Remus J. Lupin

(credit to Peguiny7 for his face makeup, eyeliner, eyebrows and suit)

any tips on improvement is welcome

EDIT: I wasn't sure what hair to use for Remus so here are some options
Screenshots

My best idea ever: combine my love for Egypt with my love of sims
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 6:19 PM
The second hair in your options for Lupin is called "puppy dog hair," I believe, so I would use that!

It's the thin lips that give you the Kermit the Frog vibe on James.He looks a lot like Daniel Radcliffe, and Lupin also looks like Lupin, so so far, so good.

The first thing to remember when making sims is, that "realistic" is a relative term. They are not photographs, they are cartoons, and therefore their proportions will always be a little bit different from a real person's. Even the "pretty" templates are caricatures of Western society's notions of (European) beauty. But a well-done caricature will often be more recognizable and convey more personality than a photograph of the same subject, so embrace this reality and relax. You don't want "uncanny valley," you want little pixel people.

You'll get the hang of the sliders with practice. If, instead of sliding, you click on the thumbnails illustrating the sliders, you may find it easier to control, as 1 click = 10% change. Another handy trick is to completely replace one feature with a feature from a different template, using the thumbnails at the top of the screen. If you like everything about a template as a base for a character, except the mouth, you select the mouth from a different template with a mouth closer to the heart's desire.

Once you're comfortable with sliders, look into the sets of custom sliders that have been created in the last couple of years. There's nothing like a little asymmetry to make a face look alive! A crooked nose, one eye slightly larger than another, and pop! You've got a real person.

The best way to get sims who look related is, to make them related. For Lily and Petunia, for example, you'd make a set of parents with general features that you think more or less have an Evans look. Choose a different template for each parent and fiddle with them till they look, not Perfect, but Okay. You'll never play these sims so who cares if they look a little ragged? The default genetic merging code tends to smooth out differences, so unless you give it too big a challenge the offspring will probably be less cobbled-together looking.

Hot tip, though - avoid using the sliders that move features vertically! I've learned from experience that breeding a short-faced sim with a long-faced sim can result in sims who can't open their eyes as adults, or have mouths in their chins.

You can do all this in Bodyshop, but the next step has to be done in CAS. Load the parents, give them the bare minimum of personality to be accepted, then choose the pacifier (or dummy, or whatever your culture calls it) icon and start generating babies. Set the gender to female and the age to teen (as toddlers and children may still need to grow into their features) and just click away till you see a face that says "I'm Lily!" or "I'm Petunia!" Don't worry if Lily has the wrong color eyes or Petunia the wrong color hair, but focus on the shape.

When you see her, select her to go into full CAS mode, and then fiddle with the genetic details. Since CAS sims are homozygous, a brunette and a blond will always produce a brunette child, but you can change hair and eye color in CAS; also skin tone if the girls didn't get quite the range you want. (And due to the miracle of Sims 2 genetics, if you keep the parents after changing Petunia to a blonde, and play the family, the brunette parent will have a blonde recessive!)

Once you have them both, you can delete the parents and turn the girls into women. Now, go to your sim bin and select the Potter and Dursley men you made in Bodyshop. Import them, and use the pacifier again to make the cousins. Same trick - once you get the Harry face you want, you give him green eyes, and now James has a recessive.

In order to save them with the boys as teens or younger, you'll need to set the family trees. So if you're planning to play them, they'll keep their recessives and their relationships, even after you kill James and Lily in live mode.

If you want them in bodyshop so you can share or reuse them, you'll have to use a tool called SimPE to clone them, then import them to bodyshop, clone them again, and you're all set. We're not 100% positive that the second cloning is necessary; but the file of a SimPE clone is noticeably bigger than the file of a Bodyshop clone. This may only be because the SimPE clone is saving the wardrobe and other harmless data, or because Bodyshop is condensing data; but since we don't know, best practice for sharing is to run SimPE clones through bodyshop until we know more.

Don't sweat the details too much. We don't recognize faces by breaking them down into details, but by taking in the whole. And you're not going to match anybody else's idea of them from the books exactly, anyhow. If you get frustrated, save what you've got and walk away for a week or two, then come back and look again. You may be surprised at how well you fulfilled your vision, after all.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Mar 2019 at 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peni Griffin
The second hair in your options for Lupin is called "puppy dog hair," I believe, so I would use that!
That's actually the one I was thinking of

Quote:
It's the thin lips that give you the Kermit the Frog vibe on James.He looks a lot like Daniel Radcliffe, and Lupin also looks like Lupin, so so far, so good.

I knew something was up with the mouth, that and I want to adjust the nose tip a bit. According to the official wiki He and Harry had the same untidy hair, thin face, mouth, eyebrows, and even hands. but James' nose was slightly longer. And Really? I mean I think Daniel Radcliffe looked most like Harry in POA and more like James in DH. So that's usually who I picture... I must have did it subconsciously But still the fact that I did him and Lupin well enough to be recognizable as who they are makes me happy

Quote:
The first thing to remember when making sims is, that "realistic" is a relative term. They are not photographs, they are cartoons, and therefore their proportions will always be a little bit different from a real person's. Even the "pretty" templates are caricatures of Western society's notions of (European) beauty. But a well-done caricature will often be more recognizable and convey more personality than a photograph of the same subject, so embrace this reality and relax. You don't want "uncanny valley," you want little pixel people.
Thanks for the advice I have actually been experimenting with default replacement templates any who Current ones I use are Subtlety Sp? by someone here at MTS

Quote:
You'll get the hang of the sliders with practice. If, instead of sliding, you click on the thumbnails illustrating the sliders, you may find it easier to control, as 1 click = 10% change. Another handy trick is to completely replace one feature with a feature from a different template, using the thumbnails at the top of the screen. If you like everything about a template as a base for a character, except the mouth, you select the mouth from a different template with a mouth closer to the heart's desire.

Yeah that's usually what I do

Quote:
Once you're comfortable with sliders, look into the sets of custom sliders that have been created in the last couple of years. There's nothing like a little asymmetry to make a face look alive! A crooked nose, one eye slightly larger than another, and pop! You've got a real person.

I do actually have quite a few custom sliders in game 20-30 maybe, I know I try to do that but than my OCD kicks in to make it all even lol

Quote:
The best way to get sims who look related is, to make them related. For Lily and Petunia, for example, you'd make a set of parents with general features that you think more or less have an Evans look. Choose a different template for each parent and fiddle with them till they look, not Perfect, but Okay. You'll never play these sims so who cares if they look a little ragged? The default genetic merging code tends to smooth out differences, so unless you give it too big a challenge the offspring will probably be less cobbled-together looking.

Now this is where I'm stuck Petunia and Lily were described very differently
Quote:
Petunia was a thin, blonde-haired woman with pale eyes and described as having "nearly twice the usual amount of neck." It is also mentioned that she looked like a horse when she pursed her lips. Many times it was also stated that she had horse-like front teeth. Her eye colour is unknown,
Quote:
Lily was a beautiful woman. She had thick, dark red hair that fell to her shoulders and bright green almond-shaped eyes
So How could I balance the two?

Quote:
Hot tip, though - avoid using the sliders that move features vertically! I've learned from experience that breeding a short-faced sim with a long-faced sim can result in sims who can't open their eyes as adults, or have mouths in their chins.
Good to know

Quote:
You can do all this in Bodyshop, but the next step has to be done in CAS. Load the parents, give them the bare minimum of personality to be accepted, then choose the pacifier (or dummy, or whatever your culture calls it) icon and start generating babies. Set the gender to female and the age to teen (as toddlers and children may still need to grow into their features) and just click away till you see a face that says "I'm Lily!" or "I'm Petunia!" Don't worry if Lily has the wrong color eyes or Petunia the wrong color hair, but focus on the shape.

When you see her, select her to go into full CAS mode, and then fiddle with the genetic details. Since CAS sims are homozygous, a brunette and a blond will always produce a brunette child, but you can change hair and eye color in CAS; also skin tone if the girls didn't get quite the range you want. (And due to the miracle of Sims 2 genetics, if you keep the parents after changing Petunia to a blonde, and play the family, the brunette parent will have a blonde recessive!)

Once you have them both, you can delete the parents and turn the girls into women. Now, go to your sim bin and select the Potter and Dursley men you made in Bodyshop. Import them, and use the pacifier again to make the cousins. Same trick - once you get the Harry face you want, you give him green eyes, and now James has a recessive.

In order to save them with the boys as teens or younger, you'll need to set the family trees. So if you're planning to play them, they'll keep their recessives and their relationships, even after you kill James and Lily in live mode.

If you want them in bodyshop so you can share or reuse them, you'll have to use a tool called SimPE to clone them, then import them to bodyshop, clone them again, and you're all set. We're not 100% positive that the second cloning is necessary; but the file of a SimPE clone is noticeably bigger than the file of a Bodyshop clone. This may only be because the SimPE clone is saving the wardrobe and other harmless data, or because Bodyshop is condensing data; but since we don't know, best practice for sharing is to run SimPE clones through bodyshop until we know more.

OK Thank you I'll Probably do that, save one for upload and then save one pair for back up. And than I'll let the game decided for personal use sometimes that's fun. As I plan to actually play out all the families. And Ill probably be back for more asks about the genetics once I get to the Black family I don't know what JKR was thinking when she wrote that up. Among other things

Quote:
Don't sweat the details too much. We don't recognize faces by breaking them down into details, but by taking in the whole. And you're not going to match anybody else's idea of them from the books exactly, anyhow. If you get frustrated, save what you've got and walk away for a week or two, then come back and look again. You may be surprised at how well you fulfilled your vision, after all.
Oh I know, and belive me I have walked several times but I put that Book based warning up as I used to follow A Harry Potter fan and Simmer (they are no longer active) who did A 8 part sim series based on the marauder scenes from the book others from their imagination. The Last one was from DH chapter 17 that showed when James and Lily died, and 95% of the comments were how they got this wrong or they forgot that The supposed things they "Forgot or got wrong" were from the movie The 5% that defended them said it was Fanfiction only two other commenters beside my self realized it was actually the scene from the book

Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th Mar 2019 at 2:42 AM
One thing to bear in mind when reading the books is, that Petunia is invariably described from the POV of those who regard her as a child-abusing jealous sister-hating hag, while Lily is invariably described by those who love her! There's relatively few actual details there - even Petunia's specific eye color is omitted. Lily also died young while Petunia is approaching middle age. The two women could easily have looked a lot alike as girls, before happiness and magic took Lily one way, and mundaneity and Dursleyitis took Petunia another, and any difference in attractiveness is down to the difference between a pleasant disposition and an unpleasant one. There are, after all, plenty of handsome horses in the world.

The "twice the usual amount of neck" detail is easily attained by raising all the features vertically in the way I just advised against doing, but it could also be hinted at with details of hair and dress - low necklines, high hairlines. The "horselike" appearance, however, sounds like a long face. One way to achieve that affect without shifting features vertically would be a wide upper face, with widely-spaced eyes, and a narrow lower face with a small mouth. Sliders that affect the inner lines of the lips can also be used to simulate buck teeth. (Remember, Hermione will need those, too!) Different templates would be more suitable for this look than others. I'd use the template used by Kaylynn and by Contessa Capp as a base for that, but don't know what your defaults are like.

Since you do not know and have never known anyone with a symmetrical face - we humans simply do not have them - give yourself some time to get used to the asymmetry sliders. If "realistic" is really what you're after, you'll soon wonder how you got along without them. If "realistic" isn't truly what you're after - and the most artificial-looking sims I've ever seen are ones made by people who say their aesthetic is "realistic" - then the sooner you understand that, the better you'll be able to refine your searches and phrase your questions to yourself and the community in order to get the results you want.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Mar 2019 at 5:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peni Griffin
One thing to bear in mind when reading the books is, that Petunia is invariably described from the POV of those who regard her as a child-abusing jealous sister-hating hag, while Lily is invariably described by those who love her! There's relatively few actual details there - even Petunia's specific eye color is omitted. Lily also died young while Petunia is approaching middle age. The two women could easily have looked a lot alike as girls, before happiness and magic took Lily one way, and mundaneity and Dursleyitis took Petunia another, and any difference in attractiveness is down to the difference between a pleasant disposition and an unpleasant one. There are, after all, plenty of handsome horses in the world.
I had thought about that, seeing as it is narrated from Harry's pov, and she was horrible to him but I didn't know how to explain it. Thankfully you did.

Quote:
The "twice the usual amount of neck" detail is easily attained by raising all the features vertically in the way I just advised against doing, but it could also be hinted at with details of hair and dress - low necklines, high hairlines.
Again I agree, which is why I use the short soft wavy hair from OFB (don't know what it's called) and a 40s/50s style dress usually produces the same effect

Quote:
The "horselike" appearance, however, sounds like a long face. One way to achieve that affect without shifting features vertically would be a wide upper face, with widely-spaced eyes, and a narrow lower face with a small mouth. Sliders that affect the inner lines of the lips can also be used to simulate buck teeth. (Remember, Hermione will need those, too!) Different templates would be more suitable for this look than others. I'd use the template used by Kaylynn and by Contessa Capp as a base for that, but don't know what your defaults are like.
Well good thing The Kaylynn template is my favorite, is it the same as the contessa one? (never played her before) The defaults I use are * Subtlety * Default Face Templates by SleepyTabby Here but I switch them out as needed.

Now I did manage to find an official image of the potter family on Pottermore and looks Lily had a thin face an prominent cheek bones which I kinda picture on Petunia

now would a round jaw or more square work on a long thin face?

Quote:
Since you do not know and have never known anyone with a symmetrical face - we humans simply do not have them - give yourself some time to get used to the asymmetry sliders. If "realistic" is really what you're after, you'll soon wonder how you got along without them. If "realistic" isn't truly what you're after - and the most artificial-looking sims I've ever seen are ones made by people who say their aesthetic is "realistic" - then the sooner you understand that, the better you'll be able to refine your searches and phrase your questions to yourself and the community in order to get the results you want.

Yeah I'm working on my technique a little as I go I try to change it up, I'll admit "realistic' wasn't the best word I could use...I like the maxis look just not the overly cartoony part, if that makes sense?
Screenshots

Field Researcher
DELETED POST
Original Poster
5th Apr 2019 at 3:40 PM
James update
This message has been deleted by Katie Turner. Reason: nevermind
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Apr 2019 at 11:33 PM Last edited by Katie Turner : 29th Apr 2019 at 5:10 AM.
Default Update James
So double post I know, but it's an update. I've managed to get closer with James by using a combination of Subtlety * Default Face Templates by SleepyTabby and isbrealiomcaife's All Around the World - 48 Non-Default Face Templates. I've managed to come up with three versions, and can't decide which one. I'm including pictures of the templates I used circled in green, and a different shirt.

all three use. British Islander, North Indian and Persian from isbrealiomcaife's set

and then I added a little bit of the defaults starting with this one from the first "page"

and finally my favorite from the third page

also I finally figured out where my image of James comes from it's actually of Harry from the chapter art of the books. although I'm not sure they're considered canon. But Pottermore (the official sight ) never shows any character's face except for the portrait of him Lily and baby harry, and these two and that's not really helpful. But here's some of the chapter art or at least what I'm going for only the last two are actually of James, the marauders photo and a statue of him Lily and baby Harry, the one right before the marauder photo is of Harry and Lily when he uses the resurrection stone, and the rest are various of Harry

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st May 2019 at 5:06 PM
Lily and Petunia
So I've managed to come up with three sort composites for Lily and Petunia which I would use for their mother. And the other for their father with a few minor changes, however I can't decide which two. (I apologize in advance for the horrible collage for some reason couldn't line up the photos)

A

B

C

SO any thoughts on which two I should use or changes I should make?
Screenshots