Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

MTS Summer Movie Night - posted on 13th Jun 2018 at 10:07 PM
Replies: 30 (Who?), Viewed: 4165 times.
Page 1 of 2
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Feb 2018 at 8:45 PM Last edited by billielith : 4th Apr 2018 at 4:38 PM.
Default The Walking Dead : Negan - Care to help?
Negan is an antagonist from the TV series The Walking Dead. I don't particularly appreciate him, in fact, like many TWD fans, I hate him, he did way enough damage as it is, and I hope he gets put down soon. Meanwhile, he is on the top five of the worst villains in history of television. That's kind of a big one. Plus I love the actor playing Negan. I do not like Negan but actor Jeffrey Dean Morgan is awesome. He makes the evil twit come to life and gives him a special personality that we love to hate.

In parallel to that, I recently uploaded something where I used my sim Victor as a model, without his goatee. And Victor without his goatee kinda looks like Negan right there. Not quite exactly like him, but he would be a damn good start. So here we are. This is Victor tweaked to look like Negan, and I am hoping with your participation we can make this the most perfect Negan that ever was!

I am planning on changing his pants and boots and finding or making his Lucille. But the face itself is not it yet. Care to tell me what works and what doesn't? At this point I can't say I really see it. All I see is, it's not Negan yet. Care to help?

Screenshots

I know I can't do it, but I'm still going to do it. - M. C. Escher
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 28th Feb 2018 at 9:13 PM
I think the biggest thing right now is that your Sim doesn't have the out-of-place cheerful look that Negan so often has. He's unquestionably an evil villainous character, but if you watch him, most of the time he's smiling or smirking or something like that, so his face actually looks cheerful/amused, regardless of the evil things he's doing. I'd say give him a bit more of a natural smile, raise the corners of his eyes slightly, and maybe move his eyes a tiny bit closer together... that should make for a bit more cheerful face.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Feb 2018 at 9:28 PM Last edited by billielith : 28th Feb 2018 at 9:59 PM.
The psychotic cheerful look, very true. Your suggestions are spot on. I've tried them, here is the update.

Screenshots

Mad Poster
#4 Old 28th Feb 2018 at 10:44 PM
I know nothing about this show or this actor, but based solely on the pictures I think you need broader cheekbones and jaws, possibly a shorter chin. The actor has a square face and the sim is more oblong.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
#5 Old 28th Feb 2018 at 10:50 PM
I think V2 is definitely an improvement... the personality of the character comes through a little better that way! A couple other more nit-picky (i.e., use or don't, whichever YOU think looks better!) things I notice (in addition to what Peni said, which I agree with too), is Negan's stubble extends further up his face than your Sim's does (if you look close, it actually gets above his cheekbones even), his eyebrows are a little flatter than the Sim's (which might also make for a more cheerful expression), the bridge of his nose (right between the eyes) is narrower than your Sim has right now, and in the full-body images, Negan is wearing a black glove on his right hand, which I wouldn't even bother to mention, except that's the hand he holds Lucille with, so it might kind of play into that (I look forward to seeing the Sim with a Lucille prop too!).

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Mar 2018 at 1:28 AM Last edited by billielith : 1st Mar 2018 at 1:53 AM.
The Lucille prop will of course be a must! lol.

Peni : Broader cheekbones/jaws, shorter chin. Square face vs oblong, yup. And now there's tools for that! :D
I also found a little tool that would let me show some teeth. Not sure how it animates in-game so I'll have to test it.

Zarathustra : I tried another stubble, other eyebrows, went for a narrower nose bridge, tried a nosemask (not sure about it, tell me what you think)
Gloves, clothes, etc, that will be afterwards - once the face is done -, but indeed! I've seen the whole series twice and I don't think I ever noticed the glove! Good observation!

Update :
Screenshots

Alchemist
#7 Old 1st Mar 2018 at 5:17 AM
Hmmm... the nose and jaw are better, and I really like the fact that you can see the upper teeth the same way between the character and the Sim now, but I like the cheekbones, eyebrows, and eyes better on V2... V3 kind of makes the forehead/hairline a little too squared-off, I think, and the skin looks too pale now... almost like he has on foundation (which is weird, because looking at the pictures, it doesn't actually look like you changed the skin... it just comes off differently now... Odd.)

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Mar 2018 at 1:16 PM
New update, v4. I think the difference with the skintone was due to the nosemask. I used a darker one, and a darker skintone. I went with your other suggestions, previous eyes, other eyebrows, etc. What do you think?

Screenshots

Alchemist
#9 Old 1st Mar 2018 at 4:18 PM
Best version yet, I'd say! A few things you might still be able to do if you want are to make the skin overall a little redder (if you look at the photo of Negan, his forehead in particular is much more ruddy than your Sim right now), maybe make the cheeks just the tiniest bit fuller, and to emphasize the wrinkles on the forehead and the 'parentheses' around the mouth a bit more.

Mad Poster
#10 Old 1st Mar 2018 at 5:06 PM Last edited by Rosebine : 1st Mar 2018 at 5:26 PM.
I prefer V3 personally. Especially for how the eyes look, and the skin. I do not know him as Negan from TWD, but I know him as John Winchester, from Supernatural...maybe that's why?
EDIT :
I asked my 13 years old son about your sim. He is presently watching TWD and agreed to give feedback.
Here is what Joseph thinks...
He likes V3 best, but the hairline and choice of hair is much better in V4.
The forehead of V4 is perfect, but the wider cheeks of V3 is best.
He looks too young...while his beard is too grey.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS ;)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 2:52 AM Last edited by billielith : 2nd Mar 2018 at 12:24 PM.
Hi again

Thank you Zarathustra and Rosebine
You guys seem to disagree, but it's still helpful. It tells me that neither version is entirely perfect.

Red skin, I don't know if it's a circumstance thing or a constant. The picture on the left was taken at the end of Season 6, when he

This was outdoors, at night, maybe there was a fire nearby. Maybe his skin isn't normally red. I'll need to watch that episode again - meanwhile I have a picture from Season 8 on the right. He certainly greyed a lot, lol.

Meanwhile:

fuller cheeks check,
wrinkles I'll go hunting for new FX/wrinkles/stuff
"parenthesis" around the mouth, I'll go hunting
I tried v3's skin/eyes again
I'm keeping this Maxis hair for now
black goatee now instead of grey - not sure about it, but here it is
I also edited his nose and ears a bit, tell me what you think of that

Screenshots

Lab Assistant
#12 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 7:56 AM Last edited by d4RE : 2nd Mar 2018 at 8:03 AM. Reason: forgot something
v5 shape is pretty good, but I like the coloring of v4 a little better. Something you can't really see on Morgan's headshot, but is more apparent in the full body pic, is that his upper lip is longer than most people's. Also, the chin needs to be rounder and weaker, not so chiseled and strong. weaker= recessed a bit, strong= jutting out proudly The ends of the moustache could be fuller, instead of tapering off sharply down to the goatee.

ETA: Also, Morgan has the beginnings of a double chin hanging down. His unique facial shape is that even though he has a long head top to bottom, his features are round and soft - like a cherub.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 12:23 PM
Update V6

Hi d4RE, thanks for chiming in.
I tried what you suggested. I tried a new version of the goatee, too. I don't know, I feel like I'm losing him. Negan is always laughing, my sim looks like he is constipated or in pain.

Screenshots

Mad Poster
#14 Old 2nd Mar 2018 at 4:36 PM
Time to take a break, if you feel like you're losing him. Step away from CAS for a day or two, then come look at him again with fresh eyes. And remember that no sim rendition will ever be perfect. Sims and humans aren't proportioned in quite the same way, and all the sliders and cc in the world can't compensate for that.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 2:45 PM
Didn't mean to throw you a monkey wrench. Keep what works by all means. It does appear that making his lip longer brought down the corners of the mouth.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 9:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peni Griffin
Time to take a break, if you feel like you're losing him. Step away from CAS for a day or two, then come look at him again with fresh eyes. And remember that no sim rendition will ever be perfect. Sims and humans aren't proportioned in quite the same way, and all the sliders and cc in the world can't compensate for that.

Thank you. It's a good idea. And indeed, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4RE
Didn't mean to throw you a monkey wrench. Keep what works by all means. It does appear that making his lip longer brought down the corners of the mouth.

You might be right about the lip thing. I used so many sliders this time, maybe too many, and the result is that his face looks frozen/stuck, unexpressive (inexpressive?).

And, you didn't throw anything, lol. It's not you, it's me. My mother passed away recently, and I have a complicated family, they didn't and won't help with the funerals. Which I organized with a few close friends - thank God for them- funerals which are starting in a couple hours - and I nearly didn't sleep all week.

I am thankful of this, the shared creative processes. And of the help you people provide when I post a work-in-progress here. It's awesome. It's what makes everything else a little bit more bearable.

Throw all the wrenches you like. You, Peni Griffin, Rosebine, Zarathustra, anybody. I appreciate it. Negan is still not there yet but as we keep doing this, it will progress. I have faith in us. I'll be back at this soon. Thanks again. x

Needs Coffee
staff: moderator
#17 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 9:42 AM
So sorry to hear billielith.

I think he looks great, all versions from 3 on.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#18 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 3:05 PM
I am so sorry about your mom. I lost my dad, my family is complicated too, but add heartless to the mixte. I did everything myself, as there was no way I'd let them *help*
Take your time, we will all be here.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS ;)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 5th Mar 2018 at 10:03 AM Last edited by billielith : 7th Mar 2018 at 9:31 AM.
Hi again all,

Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
So sorry to hear billielith.

I think he looks great, all versions from 3 on.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebine
I am so sorry about your mom. I lost my dad, my family is complicated too, but add heartless to the mixte. I did everything myself, as there was no way I'd let them *help*
Take your time, we will all be here.

Thanks, dear. Sorry about your dad, and about your complicated/heartless family members, hugs to you. Believe me, I hear you. Funerals can be insane. Most people have the decency to attend and make an effort to be nice. But some just seek to corrupt the moment and the mood. It's hard.

Meanwhile, about Negan, I have a new update.

As I re-read everyone's comments, I couldn't make up my mind about the skintone, so I decided to try my next update with both, side by side, in the hope it helps take the final decision about at least that. I think the out-of-place cheerful look is back, I edited the eyebrows and wrinkles a bit and I think it helped. What about the shape of his face, what do you think? What about the jaw?

The stubble isn't 'it' yet, I believe I might have to make one from scratch just for him - unless someone knows where I could find a set of out-of-control greying facial hair like what he got. I kept the upper teeth showing, is there enough? Maybe he still needs more wrinkles, like the 'parenthesis' around the mouth or on his forehead. But the ones between the eyebrows were part of what made him look 'in pain', so I think it is better without.

I tried to keep the upper lip and make it straight, without the lips sticking out too much, what do you think about the chin overall? still too strong?

I will be waiting for your opinions on this version. Thanks!

Here is a quick little in-game pic from Create-a-Sim
Screenshots

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 5th Mar 2018 at 11:09 AM
Love them both. I personally prefer the darker suntanned look, but the lighter one works just as well, like he's inside or in bright sun - like in the full body pic. Could use a little more teeth. Is it possible to reveal them by adjusting the bottom lip instead of risking messing up the nose creases, moustache, etc.by playing with the top lip too much? Chin looks great.

Belated condolences on your loss. It's so frustrating when family try to make gatherings about themselves instead of about the person that has brought them together.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 7th Mar 2018 at 9:36 AM
@d4RE, thank you. I am just glad that at least my mom had an unexpected big number of visitors one last time.

Negan, update! Not much, but I edited the mouth - there's more teeth showing now, and I was able to not alterate the rest of the face too much. I turned his lip corners upward a little - is it too much? I went with both skintones here again - and maybe that's how I'll upload him, tanned and normal, and let people pick.

I think he would really need that new stubble now. I'll try to make time for it in the next days.

Screenshots

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 2:14 AM
Update!
Negan's stubble step 1 - failure! Too much fluff!

I don't know if this fluffy 'stubble' could be useful on other sims, but it's not Negan.
Anyone knows of good out-of-control stubble out there?

Meanwhile, I'll try again and post an update later. If you guys come up with ideas to improve his face sculpt, by all means, please tell.
Screenshots

Field Researcher
#23 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 7:26 AM
I just noticed this today.... I love this character.... there is just a bit too much white in his beard.... if you are going for a Negan look.... his expression is a little too "soft".... the fold of skin going from the side of the nose down to the corner of the mouth needs to be a bit deeper....
Field Researcher
#24 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 1:30 PM
I just popped in and ran through this thread. I don't know the show or actor, but when you line up the sims like in a lineup, my eyes continually go to V3 as the one that is him. I think it's that the shape of the brow is perfect over the eyes and that gets lost in others. Good luck!
Field Researcher
#25 Old 17th Mar 2018 at 4:35 PM
I just did a quick eye-scan of the thread, and I think I've figured out what's a little off to my view... the sim is a bit lantern-jawed. It's super long and squared off, in a way that's a little too much. Looking at the actor's face there is definitely a strong jaw, but it's a lot softer than his sim's. A lot of that size is due more to the beard than to his actual structure, but the sim has the jaw upsized and then flat beard applied on top. Hard to really reconcile that, but I think you might be able to get away with less jaw. Also I like that you've paid attention to the eyes' asymmetry, but I'd consider opening that smaller eye back up a little more.

As far as the beard goes, I'd suggest less white/grey at the chin and more of it throughout.

Good luck with him! Can't wait to see how he continues to evolve!
Page 1 of 2