Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

New Creator Theme: Elders! - posted on 1st Sep 2018 at 11:43 AM
Replies: 9194 (Who?), Viewed: 525975 times.
Page 368 of 368
Top Secret Researcher
#9176 Old Yesterday at 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmful
I think it's just round-about way to say 'sims sharing a dorm room'
Basically. I reworded the sentence and forgot to delete the original statement.
Field Researcher
#9177 Old Yesterday at 2:06 AM Last edited by grinevilly : Yesterday at 3:17 AM. Reason: Spacing errors! Good gravy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeninja
Is this a US thing (and/or otherwise regional in some way)? Here in the UK, living in college-owned accommodation throughout my degree, almost all the available rooms were singles - with the rare exceptions being the doubles intended for married postgrad students.

I find that, newer dormitories in the US are starting to lean towards more single rooms, or more "townhouse" style dorms. But up until probably the 90s, you had 2 people sharing a room. You'd have 2 wardrobes, 2 beds, 2 desks, and the whole floor shared a bathroom down the hall, with like 4 bathroom stalls, 4 sinks and 4 showers. If they were full, you wait your turn or try another floor. The rooms were small and cramped, and had one small window, kinda reminiscent of prison. The newer the dorms, the SLIGHTLY better they got. Maybe a little bigger... Maybe 2 windows. Maybe suites like i described, with 2-3 rooms to a bathroom, which had 1 shower, 1 toilet and 2 sinks, instead of the big communal showers. I have some friends who are in school now, or who are recent graduates, and they have basically a house with 6 people in it. Two bedrooms on each floor, a shared bathroom for each bedroom, and then a LOT of common area. But it's more "homey".

In the US, we hear about boarding schools in the UK. I kind of imagine the colleges and university campus housing to be similar to how I always envisioned boarding school dormitories. But even then, I'm just going by my interpretation of stories I've heard. I have no real first-hand experience to say, "yes, that's what it's like".

The pictures posted on the previous page by Charmful are very accurate, only at my school, the bunk beds were a little more "make-shift" -- dangerously constructed, with regular beds, PVC piping and duct tape. hahah...

-gE
>=)
Scholar
#9178 Old Yesterday at 2:46 AM Last edited by Bubblebeam : Yesterday at 3:03 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsample
-"second life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charity
My favourites are -3 -4 and -pinterest. XD

Nice. I didn't know this. Simsample to the rescue again.

How would you do it in multiples (assuming you can)?

Something like this?

Code:
Sims 2 Floral Dress -"second life", "3", "4"

While we're on a similar topic, I'm sooo glad to have just found out that an asterisk in Windows Explorer lets you search for partial filenames. Say if you were wanting to find AFRaincoatYellow.package and just searched coat, for me on Windows 10 that would fail to match. But *coat does find it, though it doesn't always seem to highlight the term in the results. If you did want that, you'd do name:~=coat instead.

Moved to Tumblr.
Instructor
#9179 Old Yesterday at 3:13 AM
You have to put the - operator on each search term you don't want.
Theorist
#9180 Old Yesterday at 4:04 AM
I've never gotten any Second Life results if I just remember to put "Sims 2" in quotes.
Mad Poster
#9181 Old Yesterday at 5:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomknight
I understand about hating pinterest, having resisted for a long time, but it's easier to just join.

I did join. They still like to show me links that link to everything but the thing that was in the picture and lately they like to send me to a forever hanging page as well.

I have BO - Multi-key Dorm-Doors. It lets more than one sim share a dorm room.
Field Researcher
#9182 Old Yesterday at 5:54 AM
Okay... so i know i just posted a couple hours ago... but a completely different idea suddenly struck me and I wanted to share it with you guys, cuz i think it'd be REALLY cool!

Err... now that i'm trying to describe it, the words aren't coming to me. What i'd like to see is a bunch of stuff to make a pool or beach area into a playable business! I know you can have a business on a community lot and a beach lot, and charge people to spend time there. ZzzzZZzZZzzzZzzz... I'd like to see a functional lifeguard chair. Marvine's ladder anims, so they can climb up and hoist themselves into the chair. You can assign someone to be the lifeguard. I guess you'd want them to have body points and logic, to be better lifeguards.

You could own a pool lot or a beach lot, and have the normal things around. Maybe barbecues... vending machines. Maybe some water wigglers? Snack bar? Coffee counter? I'd like sims who are lounging in chairs around the pool to be able to tan, and possibly burn. (I'd also like a "put lotion on" anim... kind of a throwback to TS1, where they could rub lotion all over each other's backs... maybe a beach blanket woohoo might not be a bad idea, either!)

And, it'd be cool if there could be a vanilla option and a "dangerous" option. With the dangerous option, low body-skill sims would have the chance of drowning. If there's a lifeguard on duty, he could save them (which is why having a lifeguard with good body skill would be handy). maybe a silly CPR? Maybe some coughing and sputtering, or even puking. Nothing overly traumatic. That is, unless of course, there's NO lifeguard on duty, or he wandered away, or his body skill points caused him to fail at rescuing... then the drowning sim could potentially succumb. That would definitely have to be optional, as not everybody would want the possibility of NPCs and non-playables drowning. It'd also have to be a Crumplebottom-Free Zone. You can't have a good time swimming if she's screaming at everybody to change out of their swimsuits. haha...

Any other thoughts or ideas or anything you guys might have, to improve on this idea? Please feel free to share!

-gE
>=)
Alchemist
#9183 Old Yesterday at 6:09 AM
Um... I wonder if it is even possible to have a mod where toddlers that are potty trained can use the regular toilet with an adapter seat. I mean, they could use a step-ladder and then sit on the adapter seat, and even flush the toilet. What if they even got a special memory of using the big-people's toilet for the first time? It would be so cute!
Instructor
#9184 Old Yesterday at 6:10 PM
This may be TMI but...

I wish there was a mod to change 'Try For Baby' to 'Woohoo Unprotected' since not every sim who does so is trying to have a baby (most of the time they're just haplessly inept family sims in a photobooth at uni... not exactly 'trying' per say...)
Field Researcher
#9185 Old Yesterday at 11:44 PM
Oooh... Wouldn't it be cool if (to go along with my lifeguard suggestion above) sims had to learn to swim, and got a swimming memory? You could have your youngin's in the pool with their little floaties on, learning how to swim, til their meter is full and they've successfully learned the skill. Then they get a "learned to swim" memory. Maybe it'd be a snorkel and goggles. Maybe it'd be the fish img the game already uses.

I STILL wish EAxis made swimmable ponds! I know they've been created and the tutorial is really good, cuz even I was able to successfully follow it to make a swimmable pond. But it'd be just so much damn easier if there was an in-game tool that just let you!

-gE
>=)
Forum Resident
#9186 Old Today at 1:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by terula8
This may be TMI but...

I wish there was a mod to change 'Try For Baby' to 'Woohoo Unprotected' since not every sim who does so is trying to have a baby (most of the time they're just haplessly inept family sims in a photobooth at uni... not exactly 'trying' per say...)

Some mods do this, InTeen and ACR being a couple. Both have birth control that you can toggle on or off by sim. And I know that some of chris hatch's mods let you modify the % chance of pregnancy, though that's more global, for everyone on the lot. I feel like there are others, but that's all I got off the top of my head.

As for the lifeguard thing, it would be cool in theory, but I don't know if I would want, or if it would even be possible, for other sims to drown if not on duty. Besides, drowning takes forever. No, instead, I'd want the lifeguard on duty to act a little like Crumblebottom and police the pool. The simmer could toggle certain rules on and off and the lifeguard could enforce them--like no running (and by extension tag and cops & robbers), fighting, pranking, public woohoo, etc. If the lifeguard catches sims doing banned behavior, the lifeguard gives the offender a lecture, and maybe after one or two lectures, a fine. Also maybe the lifeguard could tidy up, too, in between scouting for trouble.

This makes more sense to me because, at least in my game, groups of sims hardly ever use the pool enough to warrant a lifeguard or to be in danger of drowning. Like, they use the pool but often not for very long (because of that diving board; sims go to dive but then chicken out, or they do dive, swim for a bit, then decide to dive again, then they chicken out). Or if sims are swimming, it's only like 2 (maybe 3, max) sims at a time. I don't know about your game, but often the pool is the least attractive thing on my lots. Even at a community center, with a giant pool, my sims are far, far more likely to stand chatting, browse the vending machine, play chess, or use the playground before swimming. (Even adults loooove the swing set.) My sims do use pools... but just not all at once, if that makes sense?

So... I guess if the mod could also set a pool area where it makes sims more attracted to the pool and more likely to do water/beach/pool activities (water balloon fights, water wiggler, build sand castles, sunbathe, etc.) that would make sense and be cool. And if we're really wishing, there could be add on mods to make sims changing in the pool area or getting out of a pool make a puddle or drop a dirty towel down on the floor. And then maybe the more puddles/towels on the floor, the more likely sims have a chance to slip and fall--there's a falling animation in the skating rink, right? And maybe depending on how neat or lazy the lifeguard is, that'll decide how clean the lifeguard keeps the pool area...

I think I may have over thought things.

"Enjoy the moment with all your might, whether it’s gloomy, whether it’s bright!"
Also known as Kelyns but you can call me KB.
Bored? Read the legacy I'll probably never finish.
Mad Poster
#9187 Old Today at 1:45 AM
Hell, right now I'd love to have a mod that takes over from Squinge's "Talk in pool", which was taken down. Have no idea why it was-but I do know it was never replaced, without explanation.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Forum Resident
#9188 Old Today at 2:10 AM
I've never seen that before FranH, but I instantly want it, too!

"Enjoy the moment with all your might, whether it’s gloomy, whether it’s bright!"
Also known as Kelyns but you can call me KB.
Bored? Read the legacy I'll probably never finish.
Field Researcher
#9189 Old Today at 3:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomknight
As for the lifeguard thing, it would be cool in theory, but I don't know if I would want, or if it would even be possible, for other sims to drown if not on duty. Besides, drowning takes forever. No, instead, I'd want the lifeguard on duty to act a little like Crumblebottom and police the pool. The simmer could toggle certain rules on and off and the lifeguard could enforce them--like no running (and by extension tag and cops & robbers), fighting, pranking, public woohoo, etc. If the lifeguard catches sims doing banned behavior, the lifeguard gives the offender a lecture, and maybe after one or two lectures, a fine. Also maybe the lifeguard could tidy up, too, in between scouting for trouble.

You make some good points, though... i wouldn't want drowning to be a frequent thing. I guess i was thinking more along the lines of the lifeguard having to jump in and rescue people on occasion. I dunno. Like, a water rescue animation.

My sims do tend to use the pool quite frequently, and in groups. At one particular sim's house, i had to lock the gates because no matter what i was trying to do, the non-playable guests would head for the pool. Dead of winter? Swimming. Blizzard? Swimming. Thunderstorm? Swimming. I got a lot of fun stuff on the lot, and they'd always make a bee-line for the pool. Also, with the installation of Freetime, the secret lot for fitness sims, you can't get 'em out of the pool with a crowbar! Marco-Polo was a good add, but... "talk in pool". WHY isn't that STANDARD!? Who was in charge of these games?? haha

-gE
>=)
Scholar
#9190 Old Today at 4:23 AM
Did anyone ever mod an option for making and bringing food to another sim? Something similar to how the restaurant waiters or BV hotel staff do it? If not that would be handy, especially in caring for sick sims.

Moved to Tumblr.
Needs Coffee
staff: moderator
#9191 Old Today at 7:41 AM
@grinevilly Seasonal pool autonomy changes will help somewhat with that. http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=572497

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#9192 Old Today at 8:35 AM
Pescado has a pool hack too. I use it and my guests never head for the pool.

poolhack.package

Visitors should no longer insist on jumping into your pool at the first unattended moment: They will only use the pool if appropriate dressed for it, as opposed to magically pulling their swimsuits from their butts the moment you leave them unattended for 3 seconds and then proceeding to wander the house soggily after you shoo them out. Sims no longer change back immediately after chickening out from diving. Sims who are being WATCHED while diving will not be able to wimp out anymore. People would make fun of you for that. And then push you in anyway. Last but not least, the option to swim naked has been made available, so if your sim is already naked, he won't change before diving. Making your sims get naked for the task is left as an exercise for the reader.
Mad Poster
#9193 Old Today at 9:45 AM
On the topic, I wish Sims would put their clothes back on after they get out of the pool. It might get annoying if they're getting out just to use the slide or diving board, though.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

My memory is poor, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives | Check out my website!
Needs Coffee
staff: moderator
#9194 Old Today at 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charity
Pescado has a pool hack too. I use it and my guests never head for the pool.

poolhack.package

Visitors should no longer insist on jumping into your pool at the first unattended moment: They will only use the pool if appropriate dressed for it, as opposed to magically pulling their swimsuits from their butts the moment you leave them unattended for 3 seconds and then proceeding to wander the house soggily after you shoo them out. Sims no longer change back immediately after chickening out from diving. Sims who are being WATCHED while diving will not be able to wimp out anymore. People would make fun of you for that. And then push you in anyway. Last but not least, the option to swim naked has been made available, so if your sim is already naked, he won't change before diving. Making your sims get naked for the task is left as an exercise for the reader.

Cool, didn't know about that one. The getting changed again after whimping out of diving has always annoyed me.
I found it. http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...topic,58.0.html

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#9195 Old Today at 1:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblebeam
Did anyone ever mod an option for making and bringing food to another sim? Something similar to how the restaurant waiters or BV hotel staff do it? If not that would be handy, especially in caring for sick sims.
That would be nice. Breakfast in bed was going to be part of the game. I noticed references to in the code the other day. Another thing EA planned that I wish someone would finish is the toddler sugar rush. From the looks of it the toddler was supposed to run around, then tantrum. It included an interaction called "I have a belly button." I guess the toddler would get high on sugar and space out after the crash.
Page 368 of 368